Monday, May 21, 2007

Suna’s Red Shawl

Suna in a red shawl

Photo Information

Taken: 21 May 2007 16:46 Brushy Creek, Texas
Camera: Olympus C200Z
Exposure: ISO 200
8.5mm, 0 EV
f3.6
1/50 (indoor, auto flash)

Backstory

Suna is wearing a red shawl she just finished knitting. The image is a bit flatter than I had hoped. The flash didn’t help much here.

The original picture features Dec’s unkempt (and mostly unused) project table in the background—something I thought detracted from the artistic merit of the shawl. I removed the background by hyper blurring it with Pixelmator.

Pixelmator is a Photoshop equivalent available for a fraction of the cost on the Mac App store. It does almost everything Photoshop does, but the selection tools are not as robust as you can tell by some of the hard edges on the shawl. I guess you do have to lose some functionality when you use a $39 app instead of a $800 one. That just means I’ll have to be more careful in selecting the edges next time.

–16 May 2012

2 comments:

  1. Actually, my friend Jody knitted the shawl and gave it to me as a gift and I was trying it on. It's another reason I am very glad I found all my shawls that I had put together to save when I thought the house was going to burn down in a brush fire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jody did a great job on it even if I wanted to give you credit for it.

    ReplyDelete