Sunday, May 27, 2007

Spidey Sense

Photo Information

Taken: 12 May 2007, 16:43 at Inks Lake State Park
Camera: FinePix V10
Exposure: ISO 200
13.6mm, 0 EV
f4.2
1/350

Backstory

Suna and I were hiking with some friends at Inks Lake State Park near Burnet, Texas (pronounced “Burn it,”  dern it) when we came across this lovely tarantula. It was a tad shy and retreated into its home. I love the structure of the web, but I wouldn’t want get caught in it. Look how it forms a tunnel back into the shelter of the plants against the karst.

I wish I knew more about arachnids. Perhaps someone can identify this lovely for me.

I think Suna took this photo. At least, it was taken with her camera.

–24 April 2012

2 comments:

  1. That's a cool photo, even if I did take it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The consensus is that this is some kind of tunnel web spider, at least two varieties of which are present in North America. It looks very similar to the one shown at http://www.pbase.com/lejun/image/97694095, even if its wed is dissimilar.

    ReplyDelete