Friday, September 5, 2008

What I Miss About Band

Photo Information


Taken:5 September 2008 17:41 Avery Ranch, Texas
Camera:Canon PowerShot A550
Exposure:ISO 200
5.8mm, 0 EV
f/2.6
1/60

Backstory

This is what I miss most about the kids graduating from high school: band trips. Just look at all those faces: happy, confident, shy…Declan wanting everyone to look up his nostrils.

This is what irritates me when Republicans say we don’t need band or music programs in our public schools. This is a diverse group of kids from different ethnic and economic backgrounds (diversity) that learned to work together (team work) and work hard (work ethic) on their own time (dedication) for a long period of time (persistence) to accomplish a difficult goal. Seems to me that is exactly what we should expect our schools to teach if we want our economy to survive and thrive. I say we can’t afford not to teach these lessons.

In the four years I served as a bus parent, I learned to love each of these kids for who they are. Today they are all young adults. Most of them are in college learning how to run our world when we’re gone. They made me proud to know them then and continue to make me proud.

Really! It’s just allergies making my eyes so moist.
–12 October 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment